by Joe Earp
St Nicholas Street in Nottingham was once called Jews Lane. There has been a building which stands at the corner of Hounds Gate and Jews Lane since at least 1415. It was in use as a pub by at least 1725. Today we fondly know the pub as The Salutation Inn. The dates for this was confirmed in 1998 when History Hunters, which was a spin off from the series Time Team, did a programme on Nottingham’s oldest public house. Their conclusions were that the Bell Inn was the oldest pub, the Salutation was the oldest building and the Trip to Jerusalem had the oldest caves. However despite the conclusions the debate still goes on.
The Salutation Inn is known to many a local as a comfortable quaint old style public house. The rear of the building, before the construction of Maid Marian Way, was actually the…
View original post 403 more words